About Your College Kid – FAQs
YourCollegeKid.com is the only online resource and community for parents with college or college-bound kids, providing unbiased information and peer-to-peer advice on emotional, practical and financial aspects of the college experience. The information and advice found at YourCollegeKid.com include both expert-written articles and parent-driven forums, addressing all manner of issues and concerns parents experience leading up to and during their student’s entire university life. Developed by Discover Financial Services, YourCollegeKid.com is a one-stop shop where parents can share their concerns honestly, speak from their own experiences, get help on common problems and share their successes in a supportive group environment.
We’re happy you’re here. Below are some answers to common questions to help you get started.
What can I do on YCK?
You can connect with other parents in many different ways:
* Join a group in our forums with parents like you and start chatting
* Set up your profile page so other parents can get to know you
* Browse around, read and comment on articles written by our very own YCK experts
* Vote in a poll and make your opinion matter
* Search for other parents and make some friends
* Enjoy great contests and giveaways
How do I meet other parents of college kids?
There are many different ways to meet parents on YCK. Here are a few suggestions:
* Join a forum group that interests you. There are groups you can join based on your interests (emotional topics, financial stuff and practical matters.) Join in the conversation in the forum group and you’re sure to find other parents like you. View some of the active groups or search for a group.
* Search for parents. You can search for parents who share the same interests or face the same challenges – and more. Use the search box (located at the top of every page) to search by name or a topic that interests you. Once you find profiles of interesting parents, you can view their profiles to learn more about them and add them as a friend.
* Learn all about timely topics from our resident YCK experts. They’re constantly posting articles about things that most parents go through when they have kids in college. Visit the Articles section to view their posts. Is there an expert that you really enjoy? Visit their profile to learn more about her and read all of her articles. You can find all of their profiles under the Guides tab.
* View the Top Tags widget. Want to see what’s on other parents’ minds? Watch these tags – after awhile you’re sure to see someone thinking the same thing as you!
* Add a comment. If you read an article post that you enjoyed or have some advice for the author, be sure to leave a comment. Or, if another members’ comments catch your attention, leave a comment. Everyone loves getting comments and it’s a great way to start up a conversation.
What should I do once I meet a parent whom I’d like to know better?
1. Send them a friend invitation. Once they accept your invite, they’ll be added to your friends list and you’ll be on theirs. You’ll then be able to see any posts they’ve marked as Friends Only (and vice versa). You’ll also be notified about things she does on YCK in the Recent Activity box on your homepage.
2. If you prefer to contact them privately, you can send them a private message. To send a message, click the “Send a Message” link on their profile page.
How can I add or change information in my profile?
Click on the “Edit your Profile” link on the upper left of any page or on your profile page (you must be logged in). You can choose to share as much or as little about yourself and your kids as you’d like – you can always add or change your information later.
Who can see what I post?
We’ve built in a lot of privacy controls so you can decide who can see what you post. But, remember to be smart about what you share – we strongly recommend that you not share personal details like your address, phone number, social security number, or credit card numbers through this web site.
Read more about Privacy and Security on YCK.
How can I use YCK to stay in touch with friends I already know?
If your friends aren’t already part of YCK, invite them to join you! Share an article post or share on our Facebook Page.
Once you’re all on YCK, you can create a Personal Group just for you and your friends where you can talk privately.
Have More Questions?
The best way to connect with us is via our groups or on our Facebook Page. We’ll typically get back to you within 24 hours, although it can take longer on weekends or holidays. We answer almost every question, so send us a note!